Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default There MUST be a trick to installing spline in patio screen panel...

wrote in news:1181790650.824938.265560
@q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

I have a screened-in breezeway between our house and detached garage,
and our small children (and their many friend ) kept pushing on the
screen door's lower panel, instead of against the frame, until the top
tore clean out.
Taking out the existing spline and screen material wasn't too much
trouble. I cut (a little over-sized since this is my first attempt) a
24x30 panel from a roll of new screen. I found it nearly impossible to
push in both the screen and spline at the same time, as instructed.
I found the first trick, which seems to be to roll in the screen by
itself first, and then try to roll in the spline. However, it still
takes a lot of effort to push it in, and I'm tearing edge of the
screen as I do it, which defeates the purpose of the repair.
Could anyone tell me if there is an additional trick to getting the
(solid/flat D-shaped) spline in the groove without destroying the
screen, or describe in exhaustive and graphic details how it should be
done?
Thanks much for any pointer,

Ismail

Yea it can be nasty to do. You can get all the way to the last corner,
slip and pop a hole even with a screen tool. Assume you are using one. It
is possible the spline you are using is the wrong diameter assuming you
are putting in new spline, The old spline may be dried out which will
make it less flexible. But of course if you get too narrow a spline it
will push out easy. Ughhh!

Using fiberglass/plastic screening? Easier to work with as far as the
spline pushing it in.

Bottom line is it takes patience, practice, and lots of "Aw-****!"s.