Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Plans For Attached Shed To Outside Back Wall of Garage

Mon, Jun 11, 2007, 11:18pm (EDT-1)
(Dale*Miller) did sayeth:
Same here in Middle Tennessee Joat. Any agricultural related building
doesn't need a permit, of course so long as they don't annex me into the
city limits. snip

That reminded me of something a friend told me a few years back. A
guy in Raleigh wanted to put up a garage, but didn't want to pay the
increased taxes. So he had to get around the permit, and all. The
increase was going to be on new structures, and getting a permit would
automatically have nailed him. There was to be some sort of eye-ball
view of all the buildings in Raleigh. So he got crew together and put
up his garage in one day, complete with a paint job that made it look
like it had been there for years. It would have worked too, except
someone connected with the tax office had been by there a few days
before, for other reasons, and remembere there'd been no garage then.
LOL The guy was not only stuck with the increase in taxes, he hadto pay
for a building permit, and pay a fine for putting it up with no permit
in the first place I think the nailed him with some sort of a fine on
trying to evade the tax too.. All in all, I think his instant garage
cost him about $10,000 extra.

My garage, at 20'X24' means I've gotta get a permit. It would also
mean I'm required to get a floor poured, no option. I've been thinking
about maybe just putting up a couple of garages, not joined, of about
12'X20', instead - as long as the totall square feet doesn' exceed a
larger area then 16'X16', no permit required, and any type floor.
That'd take care of my kid's, then put up another for just me. Can't
afford to move, so got to come up with creative options.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton