Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default florescent bulb colors

On Jun 13, 8:18 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Do they sell fluorescent bulbs that DON'T emit that harsh sterile blue-white
glow. I'd be more disposed to using them in my house if it weren't for the
color they emit.

Light from soft white fluorescents is indistinguishable from light
from
soft white incandescents. Put a soft white CFL under a lampshade,
you'll never know the difference.

Cool white tubes are still useful where you want a lot of light from
the
cheapest tube, such as workshops. They're one of the best plant
lights
going, actually better than tubes sold specifically as "plant lights"
for
twice the price. Avoid the cheap yellowish "kitchen and bath"
tubes.
Everyone I know who's tried them hates them. The color is just
marginally better than HPS streetlamps.