Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Will a 1kw genny start my fridge *update*

"Toller" wrote in message

"Big Al" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
.)

So I bought the EF1000. It will actually start my shopvac, which draws

16a
at startup. I haven't pushed it any harder, so I can't actually verify

the
3500w, but it is good enough.
Alls well that ends well.

The shop vac has a universal motor, one with brushes and a wound
armature,
like in a power saw. The refrigerator uses a different type motor, it may
not start even if the shop vac does. Why not just try it?

Because I drained the carburator already. But if it draws 16a and the
fridge only draws 13a, it ought to be okay. True, the power factors could
be completely different, and that might change things.

As others have said, you have not in any way verified that your generator
will start your refrigerator. You have only verified that it will start your
shop-vac. These are the kinds of tests that marketers like to demonstrate,
to make people think they have proven something they haven't. If it is
important that the generator start the refrigerator, try it several times. I
suspect the 13A refrigerator will be harder for the generator to start than
the 16A shop-vac but since there are several unknown variables it cannot be
determined except by testing. I believe it will be okay.

Don Young