Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler sylvan butler is offline

Default Is ground cable needed

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:24:52 -0700, wrote:
I am installing a temporary subpanel for a large outdoor christmas
light display. I plan on running two hots and a neutral to the

That must be the 240v "two hots" from a dual (ganged) breaker.

subpanel. I know that you do not tie the ground and neutral together
in a subpanel like you do in a main panel so my question is Do I need
to run a ground from my main panel to my subpanel if I plan on
installing a seperate grounding rod for the subpanel?

Where is the subpanel being installed?

If it is in a seperate building, with NO conductors (other than the
2xHot and Neutral) connecting the two buildings, no plumbing, no air
vents, etc. then no ground line is needed. Do bond the neutral and
ground in the subpanel.

Otherwise you must run a ground line, usually #6 or larger and do not
bond neutral and ground in the subpanel.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen?
http://pcscreenwatch.com