Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Attic Fan Woes: UPDATE

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:05:39 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

So, I asked if anyone knew why. Got lots of opinions, even had a
detour into how to use a Volt-Ohm meter....then someone asked if there
was a light switch of some kind that I had no idea what it controlled.

That was I, more or less. Glad you got it fixed.

Happened that there is a "normal" looking wall light switch pretty
much on the wall in the house hallway. And if you drilled a hole
through the ceiling just above the switch location into the attic,
you'd be pretty close to the fan location.

Anyway, looked and that switch was off. So, I flipped it on, but since
it has been in the 50s-60s all week temperature-wise and I had reset
the fan thermo to 102, nothing has happened. Well, it hit 90 today and
the fan is whirring away....it is a little noisy though. My wife says
it sounds like a helicopter. Well, that is a MAJOR lie, but it is a
bit noisy....but anyway it does work!!

Since you think the new fan is a lot bigger, make sure you have
adequate intake vents, eg sofftit venting that is not blocked.
Otherwise, you can wind up sucking cool air from inside the house
through leaks, negating the fan benefit in helping lower AC needed.

But doesn't that help bring up cold air from the upper levels, helping cool
the upper levels to some degree?
And vent some of the hot air accruing on the top floor?
Sort of the purpose of a "whole-house" fan?

A whole house fan has to be used when the outside has cooled off, to
suck somewhat cool air in from the outside.

A roof fan runs during the hot and hottest part of the day, and turns
off between 5 and 9 pm.

So I don't know how much the bigger fan would suck out, but it would
be the wrong temp.

This winter I put foam around my trap door because I worried about
passive air currents from the second floor.

There is also the stack, which runs from the basement to the attic. I
don't know if the heating duct is supposed to have sealing between it
and the second floor, but I wasn't able to seal the half inch hole I
drilled for various wires. Not sure how much air would leak out
through the bathroom vents. Otherwise it seems pretty well
sepearated.