Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default All the hoopla over incandecent bulbs...

wrote:

The CFL light is harsher and not nearly as pleasing as the light
available from an incandescent.

You can get a wide range of colours and colour accuracy from CFL bulbs.
Like everything else, the good ones are expensive. BlueMax bulbs, for
instance, are about $12 each but have a CRI of 94. Typical big-box
bulbs have a CRI in the low 80s.

The ones that I've tried that are screw in replacements take a long
time to warm up.

This is brand-dependent. Some of our bulbs take a long time, others are
bright within a fraction of a second and then get slightly brighter over
the next minute or so. The name brands aren't always best, either.

It
would be far better to be honest about their shortcomings, so people
can use them where they make sense. In my case, so far, that's the
garage, basement and closets.

While I agree that people need to be aware of their shortcomings, the
ideal place to use CFL is where the lights will tend to be switched
infrequently and will be left on for long periods of time. This
maximizes electrical savings and bulb life.

Chris