Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Massive Natural Gas Explosion "Flips" a House

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:59:08 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to mm :

Sounds like a good idea, but the reference to the smell of rotten eggs
in the additive doesn't inspire confidence in me. I don't think it
smells like rotten eggs. Is it supposed to?

Before I answer, does anyone know what the two parts of the white are
called, or what the difference is, or anything about that?

I'm not talking about the yolk but the two parts of the white.

Heh. Methyl Mercaptan is the chemical they use. It's in the
same chemical _family_ ("Mercaptans") as the primary ingredient in
"rotten egg" smell (which is H2S IIRC) and that of eau-de-skunk.
They are all very pungent, smell _similar_, but not exactly the
same.

This is very interesting, because usually I find, and I even tell
people, that I have a very poor sense of smell.

But definitely, they don't seem the same to me. I've definitely
smelled H2S

Also, these days few people encounter "true" rotten egg smells, because
eggs are handled rather better than they used to be in the days before
refrigeration and public health inspections...

And I'm pretty sure I've smelled true rotten eggs, since I'm not one
of those natty guys who takes care that his eggs don't rot.

In fact, eggs will keep in the refrigerator for easily 3, probalby 6
months, probably longer some times, without problems. And even then
they usually don't rot in the fridge, but just dry out. So I must
have left them out of the fridge some time.

Even broken eggs can usually be used. Take all the other eggs out of
the egg carton and pour the egg into the pan. If the outer membrane
is not broken, the eggs will keep at least a day or two even if the
shell is broken.