Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Soldering iron problems

Smitty Two wrote:

OP: Again - Before you invest $100 or more in a quality iron - which I
highly recommend - beg, borrow, buy or steal a couple of ounces of
liquid flux. A drop or two will make a world of difference in your
ability to reflow the old solder. Trust me on this one. You might just
be able to get by with the light duty iron if you use flux, and you'll
need it anyway even if you buy the better iron. And don't use the point
of the tip. Choke up on it a bit, where there's more thermal mass.

LIQUID ROSIN FLUX ONLY!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from Ruby flux, or other
liquid acid fluxes, unless you want to destroy the computer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida