Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mjmwallace@gmail.com is offline

Default 1,100 Hours - In One Piece?

Charlie b,

Eleven Hundred Hours- in One Piece? (actually it's for a five piece set
- but
still - 1,100 hours?)
But Joe Tracy makes furniture for a living so I suspect the 1,100 hours
were "billable hours", not elapsed time. Can you imagine going to work
five days a week, eight hours a day, working on one set of pieces - and
do that for over six months - and at the end of six months have five
coherent pieces?

Recently was at a woodworker's shop and he had several pieces that
were well over that, if my memory serves me right. Formally a
professor
at a community college in art, so his time was factored over
years.

Regarding Mr. Tracy, I would think that perhaps he didn't spend the
hrs straight.
I'd imagine part of the time was getting the wood, drying it if not
already dried,
milling it, etc. LOTS of time right there! Still tho, I am in awe of
the
hrs. I have several projects where I've spent 40 hrs and still not
done
and that's over several years. I'm in the running for the "king of
unfinished projects".

MJ Wallace