Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

HI Matthew

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:37:03 -0700, Mathew Newton
wrote:

On 13 Jun, 13:52, Adrian wrote:

The other 'twist' that I hadn't thought of is the fact that
an mp3 'album' looks like a single file to an mp3 player -
there seems to be no notion of 'tracks' within the album.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - an album would normally be
encoded into individual files/tracks and any notion of the 'album'
would simply relate to the folder they are stored in (or identified by
the ID3 tag). Perhaps you happened to have come across an album ripped
as a single mp3 file - this was perhaps either on purpose e.g. albums
intended to be played as a continuous uninterrupted series of tracks
(e.g. many 'dance' albums) because mp3 transition between files/tracks
tends not to be seamless (multiple causes) or maybe it was rip from an
analogue source and the ripper hasn't split the album into individual
tracks.

Make sense?

'Spose so..... g
So can an mp3 file have 'tracks' within it ?

I was playing the file with Realplayer on a laptop, in case that makes
any difference... pressing the 'fast forward' button on Rp had no
effect, though you could drag the little position indicator along to
move forwards in the album...

Certainly not a 'dance' album g...! - though it's quite possible
that whoever mp3'd it just set it to rip the whole thing from
vinyl....

Many thanks
Adrian