Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Default Diode for reverse polarity protection

mike wrote:
Ramset wrote:
I fried a diode used for protection in a Bearcat scanner. It was
fried by connecting the wrong power cord (reverse polarity) into it.
The AC adapter puts out 13.8VDC and 700ma. I tried replacing it with
a IN4001 and it powered up the display and started scanning. However
when I plugged the speaker and display light back in it didn't seem
to have enough power to start it all up. The display flashes once
and I hear a pop in the speaker but that's it. The original diode
had markings printed which I think was RA above VB.
Any suggestions on another diode to try?

Thanks
Kevin
Minneapolis

If it's a reverse protection diode across the power supply,
it ain't your problem. More likely, you fried the supply
when you shorted it out with the diode.
mike

Or just the power supply is inadequate to the task, assuming it is a
replacement.

Mark Z.