Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Attic Fan Woes: UPDATE

You can replace the motor/fan blades if necessary.
Hard to say if there will be an improvement, noise-wise.

My attic fan really sucked, motor froze up.
Kluged an oscillating fan in there, worked good for a while (very quiet),
but froze also.

Finally put a fan from a window A/C unit in there, worked great until the
capacitor blew.
Powerful, not as quiet as the first replacement, but no noisier than the
original.

NOW, new (well new-used) capacitor, works fine....

whew.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
oups.com...
For those of you who may remember, I posted during the past weekend
(Jn 10) about roofers plopping a new attic fan into my roof and
leaving the wiring to me.

I hooked it up and nothing happened, even tho. the temp should have
been hot enough to have it kick on (I had set the thermostat to 60
degrees and it was 74.5 in the attic according to my little
thermometer).

So, I asked if anyone knew why. Got lots of opinions, even had a
detour into how to use a Volt-Ohm meter....then someone asked if there
was a light switch of some kind that I had no idea what it controlled.
Happened that there is a "normal" looking wall light switch pretty
much on the wall in the house hallway. And if you drilled a hole
through the ceiling just above the switch location into the attic,
you'd be pretty close to the fan location.

Anyway, looked and that switch was off. So, I flipped it on, but since
it has been in the 50s-60s all week temperature-wise and I had reset
the fan thermo to 102, nothing has happened. Well, it hit 90 today and
the fan is whirring away....it is a little noisy though. My wife says
it sounds like a helicopter. Well, that is a MAJOR lie, but it is a
bit noisy....but anyway it does work!!

For those who care, it's a GAF Master Flow "roof-mounted power vent."
I can't find any specifics in the manual about flow or anything, but
it is a monster compared to the unit it replaced. It about three times
larger....