Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Strange shrunken capacitor(?)

w9gb wrote:

1. The "white goo" appears to be hot glue use to hold the component
(possibly during wave soldering step)

2. This circuit board has silk-screened legends, such as C102, L302, etc.
The first character used to identify this component will tell you what it
is:
"C" - capacitor, "L" - inductor

3. The component appears to have a polarity stripe, like electrolytic
capacitors.

The line appears to be an indicator of the position of the leads.

4. IF this is an electrolytic capacitor -- I would replace it based upon it
physical condition -- but you would need the correct value and voltage
rating!

When was the last time you saw an electrolytic made with a molded
ferrite core?

From your photos, really can not tell -- no value markings other than the
marking of: LO5G

Which indicates that its an inductor, not a capacitor.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida