Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Yattaro Yattaro is offline

Default Strange shrunken capacitor(?)

I have an old Gateway EV700 monitor which shuts down after a few minutes of
use. It sometimes sort of flashes the screen as if maybe it's trying to start
back up, but is never able to on its own. It will come back on for a few
seconds if power cycled, but will then shut down again.

After it's been off for awhile it will come back on and last a few more
minutes, but then exhibits the above problems again. When it shuts down, it
has a sort of rainbow swirl pattern in the center of the screen.

I opened it up to see if there was anything obviously wrong, and saw what
looks like a capacitor which has been twisted and shrunken, but I'll admit
that my knowledge is limited enough that it could be something else entirely.

Here are some pictures. The white goo on the side is just glue, it didn't
come from inside the object. I didn't see any obvious signs of leakage or
damage, but this thing certainly looks unnatural.

http://tinyurl.com/2ysl3r
http://tinyurl.com/ytxby8
http://tinyurl.com/2gbe8v

Any idea what this is, if it's bad, and if replacing it might solve the
shutdown problem?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.