Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Clark Jon Clark is offline

Default AC question

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
t...

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sacramento Dave wrote:
Do you think replacing a 1991 AC would be a wise move? It's a Rheem
can't
read the label to well but I'll bet it wasn't top of the line.

A 16 year old AC probably has a relatively low EER by today's
standards. If you find a replacement unit rated at 14 or so, I'd go
for it, considering how much energy costs are rising. This is a good
time to shop for a better AC before the summer frenzy commences and
stocks are still good in the stores. HTH

Joe

A big factor is my wife works a major manufacturer witch gets us an
incredible discount. The unite seems to be pretty wimpy, about 2 years
the compressor died we had a home warranty cost us $150 to replace the
biggest annoyance is it's so loud when it kicks in. I did remove the cover
cleaned all the coils some were pretty bad look like dog hair, but it
still seem very inefficient

Take into consideration that this may be the last year of any Fed tax
rebates and SMUD is offering up to 500.