Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] businessman@nomail.com is offline

Default I just learned water heaters have an "anode" and its important

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:16:35 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message news:rdfai.7$pd5.5@trnddc02...
davidlaska wrote:
I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Labor can't replace material. Its called a "sacrificial" anode for a good
reason. See he
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

--
Grandpa

Why do they call it an anode?

They were invented back in the days they used vacuum tubes, and these
tubes also had an anode. If they added a cathode, that would be one
hell of a tube. If it's an electric water heater, you already have
the filament (the heating elements). Maybe in the future they will
develop a transistorized water heater that also serves as the cpu for
your 100,000 mhz computer. (which is needed to run MS Vista).