Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

Default AC question

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:40:31 -0700, Mikepier
graced this newsgroup with:

On Jun 11, 9:27 pm, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
Do you think replacing a 1991 AC would be a wise move? It's a Rheem can't
read the label to well but I'll bet it wasn't top of the line.

If it works fine and you have no problems, why would you want to
change it? Wait till it dies, then get a new high efficiency model. I
have a Carrier unit made in 1986. It still works well, cools the house
with no problems.

It's very expensive to change it out and it'll take time to realize
any savings from the more efficient a/c. We *had* to replace our
because it died on us and the cost to replace the (mid-70's) parts
nearly cost as much as just getting a more efficient system outright.

Having said that, if the seer rating is very low then it's something
to consider.