Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Massive Natural Gas Explosion "Flips" a House

Did you hear or feel the explosion? They said in the news that many
people did.

No, I didn't. I'm not positive that I was home when it happened.

They said she had an electric range, only water heater, furnace and
dryer, all in the basement. I noticed from the map they showed on one
article that there are railroad tracks nearby. I wonder if the
vibration from the trains could have caused a pipe to weaken and
eventually break. Otherwise, I'd place my bet on the dryer. Dryers
vibrate which can weaken the pipes, whereas a furnace or water heater
are pretty much stable.

While I agree with your logic, I have never seen a dryer here that
wasn't hooked up with a flex line.

I have to say that the guy that did this must be really stupid. When
a gas pipe is opened, one can hear it, and smell it immediately.

My guess is that he turned the valve, and left the area immediately.
The gas flow is pretty quiet, and the sound of a radio would be enough
to mask it. The other possibility is that the gas valve was 5'+ away
from the open end of the pipe.

Here is another area where gas should be better regulated. Most of us
know which way to turn a gas valve to the ON or OFF position, but many
people dont. The valves should clearly say ON and OFF on them.

Can't argue with that.

I'll agree. Many of them dont really understand what they are writing
about. At least not the technical aspets of it. Of course I guess
they cant be experts in everything.

No, but we can expect them to at least try to get it right.

JK
Wauwatosa, WI