Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wall Mounted Basketball System

poolfan wrote:
Serious help required! I purchased a GoalSetter Wall Mounted
Basketball system to be installed on the side of my home above a large
driveway. It is a 72 inch glass backboard that is to be attached to
two steel brackets. The brackets are to be attached to the brick on
the side of the home. ...

... My thoughts were to drill holes in the brick
corresponding to the holes in the two brackets. Anchors and bolts
would then be inserted and held tight with either an expanding cement
compound or a cement epoxy. I was then going to affix 2x4s against
the brick followed by the steel brackets. My reasoning is to lessen
the vibration of the basketball system directly against the brick.

...the backboard weighs over 200 pounds. Also, the
system is designed to provide 4 feet of clearance between the hoop and
the wall ...

That's a _lot_ of weight and moment arm -- I agree w/ the other
responder that if it's just a brick veneer you're asking for trouble.
It _might_ stay, but it could easily bring the veneer down, particularly
if there are any of the size that can reach the rim/net and put any
additional load on it.

This is going to take a serious mount and w/o knowing much more about
the house construction is pretty difficult to give good advice.
Certainly w/ a b-board of that size I can see why the manufacturer
doesn't want to be involved...

Only general advice I would have would be that hopefully this wall
location is accessible from the inside (over a garage space or similar)
and what would be required if it's conventional frame construction/brick
veneer would be to go through the wall and put a
load-bearing/-distributing plate on the inside to transfer the load
across several adjoining wall studs. Even that easily might not be
sufficient to prevent cracking of the mortar joints on the veneer and/or
similar w/ drywall/plaster on the inside.

I'd not mount a b-board on the house anyway, personally, simply from the
sound-carrying annoyance factor of being on the inside, and brick would
be even worse than frame alone for that. Also, it could be a real
detriment to the value on resale that way and much more hassle to take
care of if it were a bottleneck in that regard. Of course, that's only
an issue if there is a need to sell. I think despite the disadvantage
of the pole from a play point-of-view, that would be my first
recommendation. Of course, if the target point is the middle of the
garage door opening, that is a problem, too. In that case, and you're
still wanting to go ahead w/ the wall-mount, the advice of "get some
professional advice" may be the best...