Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
GregS GregS is offline

Default choosing solder for original work and repair

In article Pine.GSO.4.60.0706111725070.14442@squire, Pete Wilcox wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
There are many choices when choosing a solder for repair and original
PCB work. I am looking to understand any issues or compromises with
lead-free, no-clean or water-soluble flux solders. Recommendations of
brands/ types would be highly appreciated.

Used leaded.

Agreed, but if you're building here in Britain, get your supplies NOW,
before the nanny state takes them away from you. Leaded solder is about
to become a thing of the past. Bastids.

But are they really concerned with the disposal of all the leaded stuff
out there right now? Here, just about everything gets dumped into the garbage.
I tried to find a place to get some hazardous liquid disposed of, and there was noplace
near my home. They said there may be a place to take it once a year, but
I quickly forgot about that idea. I just threw away a half gallon sized capicitor,
which I hope did not contain PCB. I would like to get rid of the Chloradane I have, but
maybe I should use it around the house, or send it to Canada. I understand
they still have it for sale.

greg