Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Calor hob

"Phil B" wrote in message

We've found that retailers recoil in horror when questioned about bottled
gas so we would be interested in your final decision.

There are two different gases used as bottled or LPG ( Liquid Petrolium
Gas). Both are in the same chemical family as methane. Butane (C4H10)
in blue bottles or propane (C3H8) in orange.
Either can be used with the appropriate regulator but butane can't be used
from bottles stored outside as it does not flow at low temperatures
(freezing?).
Butane has a push in regulator released with a button or knob on the side.
I break all recommendations and turn the bottle upside-down and tap the
end to tip out bits of dirt before connecting it, otherwise it leaks.
Propane regulators are different (left handed screw fitting??)

I think most people use propane - I've had sufficient experience of pouring
hot water on butane cylinders in winter to know that there's really no point
in using it when propane works just fine, and indeed is probably easier to
find. Yes, the cylinders are LH threaded. There's a sort of bullet-shaped
thing on the end of the pipe which forms the seal. The bottle has a tap on
it - you don't connect directly to the top of the cylinder. They come with
plastic plugs in from our retailer, so don't get a chance to get muck in
them - and the connector is somewhat bigger than your typical camping gaz
cylinder.

And yes, get a auto-changeover regulator.

cheers,
clive