Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Vibration failure of components in bass combos

N Cook wrote:

Makers like Peavey use hot melt glue or something that looks like very
thick PVA woodglue.

Ron(UK)

Glooped over the body of the R and the leads or just the leads, cross-linked
to something else or just glooped onto the pcb ?

All the examples I`ve seen have had the stuff poured over the component
body to an adjacent component or to the pcb, never on the leadouts. They
seem to use something akin to Evostick around the bases of verticle
smoothing caps.

The hard white stuff - more like pva glue than hot melt - tends to
discolour and crack off the component in time, probly due to heat.

I doubt using standoffs improves the reliability much unless maybe it's
the old fender method of using a brass tube fixed through the pcb with
the leadout wire soldered at the lower end but free to move in the tube.

Crossover networks often have big components secured using cable ties
around the part and through the board.

Big components fall off circuit boards, it`s a law of nature (and bread
and butter work for repair technicians ;^)

Ron(UK)