Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 13:39:41 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to make a board similar to a skateboard. I'd like to
use 1/4" plywood but 1/2" would work too. The problem is that it's not
strong enough to support a person. I've heard of using fiberglass with
an epoxy/resin that will drastically increase the strength of whatever
you put it on. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on
how and what to use to strengthen wood.

A couple of things to consider:
-Keeping the weight down.....a couple of pounds is not a big deal,
just not 15 or more.

-How to apply graphics or even keep the natural look of the wood- do
you apply graphics under the fiberglass?

-Can I paint the wood? Before and/or after the application of the
fiberglass? The use of stains?

-How much stronger will fiberglass make the wood?

-Application?

-Prices?

-Where to buy?

-Other options?

Thanks, Jay.

Use balsa instead of plywood, slice it to your thickness on endgrain,
use more than one piece, edge glue the pieces together just to hold to
make a rough panel (flat board with wax paper helps here), then cut
your final shape . Glass it all around, be sure to wet in the glass
to the balsa endgrain, it will soak up a lot of the epoxy and because
it is on end, will give you very good compressive strength. Tensile
and torsion strength comes from the glass/epoxy, balsa does nothing
there.

That is the way many fiberglass boat decks are constructed and they
are very strong. Other method is a foam or honeycomb core, but more
expensive, don't know if you can get a small quantity of honeycomb.

Internet for prices and sources of glass and epoxy resin. Most
recently I bought from U. S. Plastics, they had the best price. Hobby
shops for balsa. I managed to get a 4 X 4 piece of balsa to slice
into my tiles for some boat deck repair.

Don't paint the wood. will seal off the endgrain and it's not pretty,
so you don't want to see it. Paint the component afterwards or put a
coloring agent in the final coat of epoxy. Final coat will probably
need a thickening agent to get the build up you need to not be sanding
into the glass cloth.

my $.02 worth

Frank