Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Loose 5 point door lock - an easy fix?

"Dave Jennings" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I have Google'd this NG for an answer to my problem, but nothing was
aparent.

Rightie-ho, we have a uPVC front door with a standard 5 point mortice
lock. Lately the handle was difficult to move, mainly on the inside of
the door, but lately this has been *very* temperamental to move to
allow us to open the door. We have a similar problem with the outside
handle but not as severe. I'm worried that one day it simply won't
operate at all and we'll be stuck outside.

Typically, the company we used to fit the door a few years back have
recently gone out of business - after going for 18 years, so hardly a
flash in the pan company.

Now, are these relatively simple things whereby a numptie like me
could unscrew the handle on the inside and see what's come loose - as
I suspect has happened - or is it not worth mucking about with, and
just call a Locksmith to sort it?

Many thanks in advance.
--
Dave Jennings

Try some aerosol white grease or similar. spray liberally into every opening
where there is a moving part. Removing a handle can be a good way at getting
some lube in.