Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
Works better if you apply all your layers before anything cures. That
way
it is one structure instead of multiple structures glued stuck together.
I have never heard of this finish coat you refer to. Since hardened
epoxy
isn't the least bit sticky, how could the finish coat be less sticky?

Have you ever installed a fiberglass shower stall?

The gel coat is hard and smooth, but the back side has sort of a sticky
feel
to me.

The shower stall might have been polyester resin. The base resin never
cures where it is exposed to air. You can either cover it with poly or use
a top coat that will cure with air exposure. Epoxy isn't like that.

You could be correct about the best technique for laying up the glass, my
experience was only onetime helping my brother fiberglass a plywood boat
and
that was done in several stages.

You can do in several stages, but then you are relying on each layer to
stick to the one before. It is much better to do it in one pour, if
possible.