Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robert Laws Robert Laws is offline

Default Garage electrics and part P

On Jun 10, 6:51 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Bazza wrote:
Hi All,
I have been looking over my electrics in my detached garage and shed
and have decided they need tidying up.
The power was already there when I moved into the house in 1991 and is
fed by a 30a fuse from the house cu.
Over the years I have made a few minor changes: replaced an outdoor
socket with a good switched IP67 and fitted an rcd to the garage
incoming which also covers the shed at the top of the garden, this is
fed by SWA which is laid under a concrete path from the garage to
shed.
The electrics in the garage are surface mounted in t&e, correctly
sized but very untidy, bit like spaghetti junction.
These feed 3 double switched sockets (metal) and 3 florescent lights
that are wired from an ancient 4 way fused cu.
What I want to do is to move the sockets to a more user friendly area,
remove redundant runs, place the cable in trunking and replace the cu
with a wylex 2 way rcd garage unit from screwfix.

I will not be putting in virgin runs just reworking what is already
there and upgrading components, there is ample existing loose cable
so I don't need to purchase new cable which means no mixed colours

My question is this, is this reportable under the part P regs?

Bazza

Ignore Part P but obey the 11th commandment - "Be thou not found out!"

When you sell up, simply claim that the electrical installation pre-dates
Part P. It will be virtually impossible for anyone to prove otherwise. Even
if any of the kit is date stamped more recently, it could simply be as a
result of replacing like with like - which AIUI, is not notifiable.

You'd think there would be a thriving market in old black/red mains
cable for just this reason.

Robert