Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Frustrated with spindle turning...

Toller
Just guesses here, not seeing what you are doing but going from faceplate to
spindle:
1) raise the tool rest a bit. You want to hit above center.
2) turn from the high point to the low
3) use a roughing gouge sharpened at 45* for the initial shaping
4) finish shaping with a skew or with a spindle gouge sharpened to 30*

If you are just starting spindle turning do the first cuts with the lathe
off. Hold the roughing gouge in your right hand with the cutting edge not
touching the wood but the body of the gouge on the wood. Rotate the wood
toward you with your left hand as you raise the tool handle with your right.
The edge of the tool will drop until it starts cutting the wood. This is the
spot you reach for when spindle turning. Good luck, have fun, be safe.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Toller" wrote in message
I have some experience with bowls, and am reasonably comfortable with them.

Today I tried my first spindle; a baseball bat for my son out of a large
branch someone left in the street.
I can't get my spindle gouge to do much of anything other than scrape. I
am having better luck with a bowl gouge, but only occasionally.
I presume the problem is that the spindle is a much smaller diameter than
a bowl, so catching it at the right angle isn't the same.
Any suggestions for making the transition?