Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I'm trying to make a board similar to a skateboard. I'd like to
use 1/4" plywood but 1/2" would work too. The problem is that it's not
strong enough to support a person. I've heard of using fiberglass with
an epoxy/resin that will drastically increase the strength of whatever
you put it on. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on
how and what to use to strengthen wood.

A couple of things to consider:
-Keeping the weight down.....a couple of pounds is not a big deal,
just not 15 or more.

-How to apply graphics or even keep the natural look of the wood- do
you apply graphics under the fiberglass?

-Can I paint the wood? Before and/or after the application of the
fiberglass? The use of stains?

-How much stronger will fiberglass make the wood?

-Application?

-Prices?

-Where to buy?

-Other options?

Thanks, Jay.

You might try TAP Plastics if there is one in your area, they carry the
cloth and the resin. I think if I was going to fabricate a skate board, I
would make the core out of Balsa wood, and in the area where the trucks are
to be fastened reinforce this area with either hardwood or even a plate of
steel that you can drill and tap to secure with machine screws..

The process is one where you mix the resin and then "paint" the goo onto
your core. While wet, you then lay the cloth over the sticky stuff and
smooth it into the goo.

When the resin cures, you then paint on a another layer of goo, and
completely saturate the underlying cloth. Another layer of cloth is then
applied and smoothed over and then recoated. You keep this up until you get
to the desired thickness, and then you change to a finish coat that tends to
dry a little less sticky than the undercoats. The finish coats can be clear
or it can be pigmented. For a skate board you might also get some additives
that you sprinkle on the top to give you some traction.

Alternatively you could finish the whole thing smooth and apply traction
tape.

If your goal was to make a thin board you might forgo the core and make
yourself a female mold to form the board into. Here you have to be careful
to maintain the appropriate draft angles, and the process would be to make
the mold smooth and then you wax it or spray a mold release agent. Now you
paint on the finish coat or gel coat, and then work your way backwards by
then applying the resin, glass and resin, and any blocking for attaching the
wheels, and finishing with a finish coat for the bottom when you have built
up the board to the desired thickness.

It stinks to high heaven, and mucking about with the fiberglass cloth will
give you little micro-cuts that will leave you itching for a while, but by
doing it yourself, you can get anything you want.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?