Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is the safest way to climb a roof?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should I hammer steps
into the roof? I notice that's what roofers do but I don't want to
compromise the waterproof integrity of the roof. I could also lasso
the chimney and tie it around my waist. Just wondering if there is a
simple safety measure out there that homeowners know that I don't.

Simple and safe is what I do these days. It is called "writing a check".
You call a pro, he climbs, you write the check. Very simple very safe.

I used to think nothing of going up on the roof but after I passed 50, I did
it much less and past 55, I've not been up there. Capes are a steeper pitch
than mine so I'd probably have stopped closer to 40 on them.