Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what is the safest way to climb a roof?

On Jun 10, 2:35?pm, marson wrote:
On Jun 10, 1:02 pm, Joe wrote:

I have a leak in my Cape Cod style house and need to check the
flashing around the chimney and dormers. I don't have any experience
climbing roofs but am wary that a loss of balance will find me eating
dirt and looking at white coats when I wake up. Should I hammer steps
into the roof? I notice that's what roofers do but I don't want to
compromise the waterproof integrity of the roof. I could also lasso
the chimney and tie it around my waist. Just wondering if there is a
simple safety measure out there that homeowners know that I don't.

If you are only concerned about safety, the best way would be to buy a
safety harness/rope. They are not hard to find...even Menards sells
them where I live. Tying a rope around your waist doesn't cut it--if
you fall at best you'll wind up upside down and then slip out of the
noose and crack your head. I wouldn't lasso the chimney--you might
fall, break off a chunk and get that on your head---after you hit the
ground! It's best if the rope is somehow anchored to the peak, but it
can be tossed over the peak and anchored to something on the other
side, like a car bumper (But take the keys out!) The trouble is, once
you get up there, you need some way to free up your hands to work, so
the rope idea doesn't really do you that much good in the end--unless
you fall!.

You could buy some "roof jacks" which slide under the tab of a shingle
and are held with nails. With care, you won't damage your roof. The
hard part is prying up the shingles, which will be sealed down. The
other option is a ladder hook, which is a hook that fastens to the top
of a ladder and can be pushed up the roof. I'd use roof jacks if it
was me. They are inexpensive and safe if properly installed.

i seriously recommend you hire a pro.

look at it this way. lets say you fall and are off 6 months recovering
or even 3 months.

that means the cost of doing the roof job and likely not completing it
can be 1/3 or 1/2 your annual income, and perhaps more if you become
permanetely disabled. now add in the pro cost if you fall and havent
completed the job.

let alone the damage if the repair isnt done properly. replacing
drywall, insulation, mold etc etc.

I have done some limited stuff on roofs but leave the pro work to the
professionals