Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Strengthening plywood with fiberglass and resin/epoxy

wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to make a board similar to a skateboard. I'd like to
use 1/4" plywood but 1/2" would work too. The problem is that it's not
strong enough to support a person. I've heard of using fiberglass with
an epoxy/resin that will drastically increase the strength of whatever
you put it on. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on
how and what to use to strengthen wood.

A couple of things to consider:
-Keeping the weight down.....a couple of pounds is not a big deal,
just not 15 or more.

-How to apply graphics or even keep the natural look of the wood- do
you apply graphics under the fiberglass?

-Can I paint the wood? Before and/or after the application of the
fiberglass? The use of stains?

If you build a fiberglass/plywood sandwich, the plywood becomes a filler
and it's strength is of little value.

What you want to do is done every day; however, foam is the normal core
material, not plywood, to keep the weight down.

What are you trying to build?

Lew