Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone Repair Laser Disc Machines?

On 10 Jun, 01:51, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
Meat Plow writes:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:26:52 -0400, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
1ziggi1 writes:

Does the laser do a calibration of sorts and look for media before the
control spins up the disc? If I recall the OP mentioned the disc didn't
move. I don't recall if the OP mentioned anything about the sled having
movement or if the device made any noise or otherwise just sat there and
did nothing.

From private email, it does try to focus but does not spin the LD or CD.

I see that someone on the LD newsgroup commented that these pickups rarely
go bad. As usual, a service manual and a quick check of some test points
would probably narrow it down.

I thought that back then the disc was not detected by the laser, but
by a beam interruption led/opto-tr pair. If thats right, you may be
looking at a problem with the beam break thing, control system or
possibly spindle drive.

NT