Posted to rec.woodworking
Donna Donna is offline

Default "Zero Clearance" GRR-Ripper

On Jun 9, 1:43 am, Tom Veatch wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:49:57 -0000, Donna wrote:
I've had one for years and wouldn't use my table saw at all if I
didn't have it. It is as perfect a tool as I've ever seen. It comes
with a manual and it pays to read it. Great for routing small items
too. When I taught power tool use just about all the students bought
one after seeing how it worked.
Sure you can make one similar, but parts like the sliding leg, in
plastic, would be difficult- and bulky- to make out of wood. It is
expensive, but worth it. I can safely rip 1/4" off a 6" long board
just 1" wide.
It is infinitely reusable- until you forget to adjust the legs for a
change in your fence. I've cut into mine a few times, but it is still
fully functional. They sell replacement legs too.
You can make something similar, but not the same, out of wood. It
would have to be twice as big and 3x heavier. Personally I'd rather
work on a harp than a jig. Donna Menke,www.woodworks-by-donna.com

I have to vote with you on this one, Donna. While it's true they don't
give them away as prizes in cereal boxes or Cracker-Jacks (probably
dating my self with that comment) they are still, IMO, worth the cost
in peace of mind and confidence. And they are much less expensive that
a visit to the ER.

I use it in almost every case where there is fast moving sharp edges
in close proximity to my fingers - table saw, router table, jointer,
etc.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Ah, it is nice to not be alone- to know that I'm not the only
woodworker who prefers making things to making things to make things-
if you get my drift. Anyhow- back to the harp in walnut. Don't suppose
anyone here has made a lap harp? Donne, www.woodworks-by-donna.com