Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Replacing window that is next to meter

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:02:38 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:

I need to replace a window that is right next to the power meter for my
house. The meter is about 18 to 24" away from the window.

Is there something that I need to make sure of before removing the
window or
cutting into the siding? Is the meter mounted on something that would
otherwise prevent me from cutting the siding? Should I contact the
power
company before doing this in the off chance I hit the cables? Or, is
this
no big deal and I can effectively treat the meter like I would an
external
outlet?
Don't treat the meter like an outlet but otherwise cutting siding and
replacing the window isn't a big deal.

I wasn't sure if the meter was mounted to the plywood sheathing on a
plate or some sort of protective box. I'm also not totally sure how the
meter and the panel are connected. The power lines connect in through
the roof directly above the meter.

I'm assuming that the panel is framed with 2x4's and the window is
obviously (I HOPE!!) framed with 2x4's so everything should be isolated
from each other. It's not like I plan on cutting the plywood sheathing,
rather just the siding, but you never know ... I'd hate to find out
something nasty while holding a circular saw standing on a metal
scaffolding.

That far away there should certainly be a full length stud beyond the
window, but if there's any question, investigate before just cutting...

I would expect there to be a full sheet of ply in each corner as the
stress membrane simply cut for the window opening and the meter to be
mounted to it. If I had reason to suspect otherwise, as noted, I'd do the
demolition carefully enough to be sure first.

But, in general, from the description sounds like _should_ be no problem.

--

That's really why I asked. It's one of those things where nothing should go
wrong, but if something does - it'll go south fast. I'm not expecting