Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Replacing window that is next to meter

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Sometimes there may be a metal bracket or strap behind the meter and/or
somewhere on the conduit to hold it to the wall, this may extend out the
sides so that it can be anchored. I would go slow with using a circular
saw blindly on the wall until I was sure what was under that siding.
Normally to remove a window you don't need to do heavy cutting. You remove
the casing on the inside and then cut any nails or screws that anchor it
into the frame, then you take it apart in pieces because there is normally
a flange or a "brick mould" that is fastened to the outside of the
sheathing either under the siding or next to it with nails and/or screws
into the frame.

Normally I adjust my saw so that it only cuts as deep as the siding or
slightly below it. Realistically I wouldn't have a problem here anyway, I'm
not intending on penetrating the plywood but I've just never fooled around
in the area surrounding a meter.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:02:38 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:

I need to replace a window that is right next to the power meter for my
house. The meter is about 18 to 24" away from the window.

Is there something that I need to make sure of before removing the
window or
cutting into the siding? Is the meter mounted on something that would
otherwise prevent me from cutting the siding? Should I contact the
power
company before doing this in the off chance I hit the cables? Or, is
this
no big deal and I can effectively treat the meter like I would an
external
outlet?

Don't treat the meter like an outlet but otherwise cutting siding and
replacing the window isn't a big deal.

I wasn't sure if the meter was mounted to the plywood sheathing on a
plate or some sort of protective box. I'm also not totally sure how the
meter and the panel are connected. The power lines connect in through
the roof directly above the meter.

I'm assuming that the panel is framed with 2x4's and the window is
obviously (I HOPE!!) framed with 2x4's so everything should be isolated
from each other. It's not like I plan on cutting the plywood sheathing,
rather just the siding, but you never know ... I'd hate to find out
something nasty while holding a circular saw standing on a metal
scaffolding.