Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Replacing window that is next to meter

"Charles" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
. ..

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I need to replace a window that is right next to the power meter for my
house. The meter is about 18 to 24" away from the window.

Is there something that I need to make sure of before removing the
window or cutting into the siding? Is the meter mounted on something
that would otherwise prevent me from cutting the siding? Should I
contact the power company before doing this in the off chance I hit the
cables? Or, is this no big deal and I can effectively treat the meter
like I would an external outlet?

Generally, the power cable goes straight down from the meter into the
distribution panel. Is your panel (load center) directly under the
meter?

My panel is, again, about 18 to 24" from the window on the interior - so
basically the meter is on one side of the wall and the panel is on the
other.

The power panel, vertically speaking, is directly below the meter? If so,
you should be good to go.

Yeah, that's right, the panel is just right below the meter, probably less
than 4 inches under it vertically.

Sounds like I'm clear then.