Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default I just learned water heaters have an "anode" and its important

"Grandpa" wrote in message news:rdfai.7$pd5.5@trnddc02...
davidlaska wrote:
I just got a used water heater (consumer electric) and I replaced the
bottom element that burned out because the sediment had collected
enough to cover it. Well, since it was outside, I flushed it all out.
Then I read about the most important factor of a water heaters life in
the anode. I shined a light inside and saw a long rod that looked
like in was suck in the ocean for years, with so much buildup that it
looked bumpy. I took it out and it is a aluminum version, How do I
clean it? lime away and some scraping? My labor is cheaper that
buying new parts or heaters.

Labor can't replace material. Its called a "sacrificial" anode for a good
reason. See he
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/WHRpages/English/Longevity/water-heater-anodes.html

--
Grandpa