Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Heat for small shop

Lot's of good replies so far.
MY .02:
Do NOT use any heater that runs on propane, fuel oil, etc that vent into
the shop. Safety aside, they ALL generate a lot of water, which will
rust everything.
Your main goal is to warm yourself, but right behind it is to
produce a non-condensing environment for you shop's equipment. That
requires some heat above ambient all the time. When your equipment is
cold and the air warms up, water condenses out of the air onto those
cold surfaces and you get rust.

No one has mentioned warming the floor. I don't know about you, but my
feet and lower legs are my main problem when standing in a shop. DO
get a heater that has a blower so the floor area can be warmed, not just
the top 4 feet of the shop.
I use counter-flow (extermally vented) propane furnaces in my shops
and they are great. I work several days a month in a shop that has one
of those ceiling mounted heaters and it is miserable, as far as I am
concerned. It is often 95 degrees 7 feet off the floor and 50 degress
or less 2 feet off the floor.

Pete Stanaitis

THOMAS CLEVELAND wrote:

Hello
I'm building a new but small shop, it will be 8' X 10' how ever living
in the north east it will get cold up here, it will be insulated, tyvec
wrapped and sided, have ac for the summer, but need heat for the winter,
I saw and like the "Hot Dog" heaters that hang from the ceiling and run
on propane, any input will be gladly welcomed.

Cheers,
Thomas Cleveland