Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme Graeme is offline

Default More government stupidity.

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-06-09 09:44:13 +0100, Graeme said:

Do your insurance renewal documents not arrive before the renewal
date? Mine do.

Yes they do and you can initiate the renewal to be effective from the
required date.

So, exactly the same as a tax disk, then.

You would visit B&Q, purchase a Black and Dekker drill, and expect
payment to be to Black & Dekker?

Is the post office entering into a contract of supply for the tax disc?
No. It is purely a collection method.

One could argue that collecting a drill at B&Q is exactly the same.

There's no need to have a form in the first place.

Unnecessary

Also unnecessary.

Once again you are arguing against a system that is in place, which is
pointless. There must be millions of motorists who feel the same.
Whinging achieves nothing - do something positive to change the system,
if you don't like it. This is, after all, supposedly a democracy.

A final thought - POs *want* to issue MVLS, believe me. Desperately.

Why?

Because they are the most profitable regular transaction we handle.

It's all the hangover of a bygone era

Yes, of course it is, as is the 'gas board', the NHS, and any other
government (national or local) department. There are tier upon tier of
these people, most of whom have nothing to do but count paper clips.
Whilst that is perhaps not quite true, it seems to me that there is a
huge duplication of effort, not to mention job protection, and an
attitude of 'Why change, we have always done it like that'. You know
it, I know it, but if a system exists, whether to tax your car or pay
your council tax, you have little option but to follow the system. Which
is not to say that the system is correct, or should not be changed.

--
Graeme