Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default More government stupidity.

On 2007-06-09 09:44:13 +0100, Graeme said:

In message , John
Rumm writes
Graeme wrote:

The problem with renewing MVLs (tax disks) either online or at the PO
is invariable the customer, who is far too stupid to live on this
planet.

Yes, when the web site says "enter the unique reference number from
your form, its printed in the yellow box, here is a picture of a yellow
box just in case you are really dense" it must be the dumb end uses
fault for lack of perception just because his form seems to have an
empty yellow box with no number in it - yet again for the nth year
running. No doubt the reference number would be a clear as day if only
he was a little smarter.

I cannot discuss the rights and wrongs of renewing online, or by
telephone, as it is not something I have tried. I have, though, been
taxing my own vehicles for nearly forty years, and have yet to
experience a problem - the current system is a lot easier and quicker
than the old systems.

Abolishing a system involving the shunting round of bits of paper - MOT
certificates, insurance certificates, tax renewal form, cheques, tax
disc would be an even greater step forward. That's five unnecessary
pieces of paper and the waste of fuel and time visiting the post office.

No well, indeed. Here is a reminder to do something that you can't do yet.

Do your insurance renewal documents not arrive before the renewal date?
Mine do.

Yes they do and you can initiate the renewal to be effective from the
required date.

cheque payable to DVLA.

Well that is just daft, I mean I know that is who you are actually
paying, but since when did you start going about writing out cheques to
people and putting *their* name on it?

You would visit B&Q, purchase a Black and Dekker drill, and expect
payment to be to Black & Dekker?

Is the post office entering into a contract of supply for the tax disc?
No. It is purely a collection method.

Or expect to pay by credit card.

The horror of it.

Discussing how the system *should* work is pointless. It doesn't.
Lobby your MP. Lobby DVLA - they make the rules. All I'm trying to
say is that the current system is generally flawless at my PO - the
only problems are caused by people who will not look at the form.

There's no need to have a form in the first place.

There are two classes of people - the first could perhaps be described
as 'educationally challenged'. The don't know, and know they don't
know, so bring every piece of paper they can find to the PO, where
their friendly sub postmaster (i.e. me) sorts the wheat from the chaff,
and issues a disk. Easy. Painless. Fast.

Unnecessary

The second type of person knows everything, thinks all rules and
regulations are for other people, wants to tax his new Range Rover even
though the certificate of insurance clearly refers to the Subaru he
sold six months ago, and is generally a PITA. Never wrong, always
loud, nothing is *ever* his (or her) fault.

Also unnecessary.

A final thought - POs *want* to issue MVLS, believe me. Desperately.

Why?

When your application is rejected at the PO counter, it hurts the sub
postmaster more than it hurts the applicant.

It's a very weak business proposition to be operating a collection
system involving pushing around pieces of paper and expecting people to
do the running around to assemble them.

There are numerous others right through to the selling of stick on
stamps that are completely pointless.

It's all the hangover of a bygone era so hardly surprising that the
post office system is in terminal decline. The intended postal
strike, although not specifically part of this will knock a few more
nails into the coffin from business that will be lost, never to return.

While one can appreciate the plight of the sub postmaster, if their
livelihood depends wholely or largely on their PO activity, wither
directly or indirectly (pull through business) they are clearly going
to run into a problem if they don't diversify into something else.