Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How to measure .045 inch?

Walter R. wrote:
I am changing the spark plugs in my car and find myself without my spark
plug gauge. The gap is supposed to be .045" or 1.14 mm.

Is there any way I can simulate this gap (thickness) of .05" by using
standard items in my garage, like nails, wires, drills bits, etc?

Thanks for any help. Would save me a long trip to the nearest supply house.
This may be OT, but people in the group are familiar with tools and
materials.

In umpteen years I don't think I've had a plug I've checked out of the
box be off by enough to fool with.

But if you have a full set of bits, 3/64" is 0.046... I don't recall
which numbered bit would be roughly right, but one of the smaller number
sizes will be as well...