Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson Brian Henderson is offline

Default Is A SawStop Table Saw Worth the Money

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:56:21 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Like most people know, looking down the barrel of a loaded gun is not going
to save your butt if you pull the trigger and the safety is not engaged and
whether the safety is engaged or not it is a dangerous move. I think it
goes with out saying that most mature people realize that nothing is fool
proof and that placing a body part near a blade spinning at 100 mph is still
going to instill a sense of fear regardless if the operator knows that the
safety device will prevent injury 99.99% of the time.

No, most people know that standing in front of a loaded gun is stupid,
safety or no safety, just like reaching across a running sawblade
without a guard is stupid. It isn't any less stupid because you stick
a SawStop on it. Nothing is foolproof, it doesn't matter that you've
got a riving knife and anti-kickback pawls, you don't go standing in
the line of fire because that wood could come shooting back at you.
But you know, it isn't the safety equipment that makes you safe, it's
the techniquest that you use. Certainly the safety equipment can help
but it can never replace just being careful and thinking about what
you're doing.

It's funny, just about everyone I know who has had an accident has
said "I should have known better". Yes, they should have. Accidents
don't just magically happen, they are a failure on some level of the
operator or the equipment.