Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A water meter fiddle?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
I think everyone is missing my point. The OP is an immoral b.....d who
wants us to help him design a system to steal water from the rest of us.
It's the immorality that disgusts me, not the illegality.

It does me too, I haven't missed the point!
I don't give a tinker's cuss for the legality or otherwise of his
proposal, it's the immorality of taking what the rest of us have to pay
for. What also disgusts me is that in this post-Thatcher, post-Blur,
post-Christian country of ours, this is considered acceptable.

It disgusts me too.

Quick write to the daily mail!

Minor point, but what was being discussed here was a thought experiment,
not a real practical one. Are you outraged at thought crime now? There
is nothing immoral about thinking through or debating the possible
outcomes and implications of various actions, even if would be immoral
to actually carry them out.

It seems rather ironic that one can be so outraged at the prospect of
someone defrauding a water company/meter when by the nature of its
design any owner of such a beast has no choice but to also be guilty of
the same "offence". Its especially ironic when the vast majority of the
"theft" of water is being carried out by the distribution pipework in
the first place, long before it reaches any meters. You are paying for
that as well. Finally your logic seems to imply that someone with a
float valve cistern in their house is behaving morally, but only when on
a flat "water rate", but suddenly their behaviour becomes immoral should
they opt to have a meter installed. But only then if they know that
there meter under-reads on low flow rates. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

So if you have a water meter fitted, you now know that it is allowing
you un-metered water under certain flow rate conditions. So *you* are
also guilty of this same crime as the OP. Are you suitably disgusted
with your own behaviour?

--
Cheers,

John.