Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden raden is offline

Default A water meter fiddle?

In message , Julian
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:32:19 GMT
"Julian" wrote:

I was doing a routine check for water leaks at home today, I just
observe the little 'spinning' wheel on the water meter with
everything turned off to make sure it's not moving - it wasn't.

Then I started thinking. The meter works by way of a little turbine
wheel that spins in proportion to water flow and is geared to the
counter unit. I wondered if the turbine needs a certain minimum flow
of water to overcome the meter's internal friction. So, by opening a
cold tap just a tiny amount (just little more than a constant stream
of drips) I observed that the meter wasn't rotating at all. My theory
would appear correct.

So, what if I fitted two ball cocks to the DHW header tank? One half
way down the tank to work normally and one at the top with a stop
valve upstream throttled to allow a drip feed only. With this working
24/7 I should get 'free' water maybe?

I'm not from Yorkshire BTW, I just like the idea of getting something
for nothing!

Julian.

No, you're a thief.

No, he is only considering the possibility.

So, is it theft to deliberately buy your petrol at night when it's colder
and thus more dense ?

That's actually given me another thought. The petrol (I've got mainly
Diesels but it's the same thing) needs to be cooled as it emerges from the
pump - so you would be getting more for your money. I wonder if it would be
possible to 'T' a loop of pipe from the vehicle airconditioner expansion
valve and wrap the pipe around the pump delivery hose. You'd have to rev the
engine up (use the fool pump furthest from cashier so as not to arouse
suspicion!) and deliver the fuel slowly.... Worth a try? I know that oil SG
changes a fair bit with temperature.

It's measured way before you can get to it or have any effect. You'd
also need a lot of energy to cool it sufficiently

The flow meters are inaccurate at low flow rates, so trickling the
petrol in slowly will under measure the amount you are pumping

but, at the end of the day ... is it all worth it

--
geoff