Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Strange Insurance Ruling

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Just an observation that may be of interest.
In the process of trying to renew house insurance.
Rang the current company - Barclays.
If I accept their valuation on re-build cost, in my case £181000,
then they will actually cover upto £500000 worth of costs.
If I ring them and tell them that I specifically want the re-build
cost to be £181000, then I will pay the same premium, but they will
not extend the cover should there be a shortfall.

WTF?

Why do you want to reduce the sum insured to £181,000 when they are happy to
offer cover for up to £500,000? I can see no benefit to you whatsoever. It
is a standard principle of insurance that the sum insured is a cap beyond
which cover will not be paid for.

Peter Crosland