Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default What good are these faceplates?

Hi Toller

By your description of your face plates, I think you have metal
turning lathe faceplates, where fastening is done with bolts and hooks
etc., or for the tail of a bend lathe dog that will go in a slot etc.
I have a couple of larger wood faceplates, but only use those for
larger than two feet D turnings.
For regular turning to say 17-18"D I use a 4" faceplate.
You can use the ones you have or maybe trade in for wood turning ones,
but if you want to keep and use them, I would suggest you drill some
holes for wood screws to go through, counter sink the holes a little
on the face side, so the wood has a place to go when you drive a screw
in.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 8, 11:13 am, "Toller" wrote:
I am about to turn my first bowl on my new lathe. Well, as soon as I figure
out how to use the faceplates.

The faceplates I am used to are 3" diameter aluminum with 4 small holes for
screws.
These are 4" and 8" diameter steel, with huge slots in them. I will have to
use washer to hold screws, and that can't be right.

So how does one use these faceplates, and why are they better than the 3"
ones?

Thanks.