Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Heat for small shop

Morris Dovey, wrote the following at or about 6/7/2007 9:20 PM:
That shop is 30' x 40' - so floor space will be a bit less than 1200
sq ft. A comfortable daytime temperature is anything in excess of 72F.
If there's a run of especially sunny days, the owner will probably
need to open windows during the day to keep the temperature in the
70's.

Any idea how impressive that is to us dorks who are paying into the
grid?g That's incredible, Morris. If you don't mind saying, what was
the cost of those "Panels of Madison County."

I don't remember - I think he told me that it's a 20kBtu heater. Food
for thought: in the solar context, his ceiling fan will be even more
important than his unit heater.

That's close to what I use in my shop. I think the high output mode on
the Dayton is 17.5kBTU

I can understand the necessity for the ceiling fan as we have cathedral
ceilings in the kitchen and family room. Certainly helps to balance the
heat from the wood stove out there.

Always glad to do that - on the other hand, one of the purposes of
that web page is to demonstrate the total absence of magic. On the
third hand, there's more to the design than meets the eye. g

It certainly does make a point. No magic, but the output is way more
than what I ever would have guessed for those two panels in that sized
structure.