Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default A water meter fiddle?

raden wrote:
In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:32:19 GMT
"Julian" wrote:

I was doing a routine check for water leaks at home today, I just
observe the little 'spinning' wheel on the water meter with
everything turned off to make sure it's not moving - it wasn't.

Then I started thinking. The meter works by way of a little turbine
wheel that spins in proportion to water flow and is geared to the
counter unit. I wondered if the turbine needs a certain minimum flow
of water to overcome the meter's internal friction. So, by opening a
cold tap just a tiny amount (just little more than a constant stream
of drips) I observed that the meter wasn't rotating at all. My theory
would appear correct.

So, what if I fitted two ball cocks to the DHW header tank? One half
way down the tank to work normally and one at the top with a stop
valve upstream throttled to allow a drip feed only. With this working
24/7 I should get 'free' water maybe?

I'm not from Yorkshire BTW, I just like the idea of getting something
for nothing!

Julian.

No, you're a thief.

No, he is only considering the possibility.

So, is it theft to deliberately buy your petrol at night when it's
colder and thus more dense ?

Na, you are probably not even reversing out the fiddle where the garage
owner is selling you just under the litre (but still within the
"allowable tolerance") because their pumps are accurate enough to do it
now.

--
Cheers,

John.