Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default More government stupidity.

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:33:23 -0700, wrote:

On Jun 8, 1:27 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I recieve a notice to relicense my car.

Its off road and has been for two years. So its a zero cost SORN..

I try the website:-

"Sorry, we don't have a record of that reference number"

I phone up
"Sorry, that reference number is not recognised"

And..as an afterthought they helpfully add.."V11 references are only
valid from the 15th day of the month preceding the expiry of the current
tax disc"

So, they send out a reminder at the beginning of the month, but disallow
its use for a fortnight?

I assume its just another job creation scheme, to ensure that they need
extra staff to process it around the month end.

Fer *** sake, if I can't use the thing, why send it in the first place?

It used to clearly state on the form that it coould not be used until
the 15th. I'm sure it still dod on the last one I had.

MBQ

I was told in February that it was going to change at some point to allow a
few extra days - they may just have been trying to placate me though as I
was somewhat annoyed with them.

I'd received the reminder at the start of the month, forgot about it and
then suddenly remembered in the middle of the night on the 15th. Re-taxed
online on the 16th (a Friday). You then have to wait five working days for
delivery before questioning where it is, this took me to the 23rd and as I
go to work before the post is delivered, I did not find out until I got
home that it had still not arrived. It was then too late to call until
Monday 26th. They told me they would send me another, but it would take
five working days, thus arriving well after the end of the month! With a
rush delivery they could get it to me on the 1st, but of course I would
have to go to work before the post arrived!

It is of course an offense not to *display* a valid tax disk - little
chance of any problem, but why should I have to break the law or lose pay
because of their unreliable and slow delivery system?

The only alternative I was given was to go to a post-office, tax it that
way and then request a refund on the disk that I'd already paid for.

SteveW